[Dovecot] Sorting messages by date

Stephen Allen dovecot at rowyerboat.com
Fri Nov 18 05:12:07 EET 2005

I've recovered a load of messages from a different mail server without it's
index file (it was corrupted).  I now have thousands of messages which
display in Outlook Express (yes, you may puke at this), all as today's date.
However when I read them in Pine, the date of each message is displayed
correctly, but they're in no particular order whatsoever.

There are several questions here, some of which aren't suitable for this
list, but for completeness...

1.
Does Dovecot store what it thinks is the date the message arrived, in it's
index file?

2.
Can I fake Dovecot into thinking the messages arrived on a different date by
including something in the message headers, or changing the date/time stamp
of each file (but I don't know how to do this)?

3.
Pine correctly picks out a date from the message (although it doesn't sort
by this order), and Outlook Express just displays everything as the date
which it (or Dovecot) first saw the message.  Does Outlook rely on Dovecot's
sorting/date information or does it do it's own?

Many thanks,
Steve :)