[Dovecot] Dovecot 30.10.2005 CVS Snapshot: cannot connect to MySQL

Tomi Hakala tomi.hakala at clinet.fi
Fri Nov 18 23:00:38 EET 2005

Alexander Shikoff wrote:
> After the start dovecot cannot connect to MySQL database:
> Oct 30 15:44:15 crow dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.alpha4 starting up
> Oct 30 15:44:17 crow dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connect failed to localhost (exim): Access denied for user 'exim'@'localhost' (using password: YES) - waiting for 1 seconds before retry
> Oct 30 15:44:17 crow dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connect failed to localhost (exim): Access denied for user 'exim'@'localhost' (using password: YES) - waiting for 5 seconds before retry
>
> But I can connect with the same password:
> # mysql -u exim -p exim

I was hit with same problem when I tested MySQL 5.0 server. As it turns
out MySQL changed PASSWORD() format on 4.1 server but it seems that C
API library still uses old password format. When I stored password with
OLD_PASSWORD() function Dovecot can connect to 5.0 server just fine.

But I wonder why "mysql" shell client DOES work even with new password
format.

More about PASSWORD() changes at

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-hashing.html

--