[Dovecot] Red Hat ES 4 - dovecot-auth: Unknown password scheme SMD5

mel llaguno mel at aclaro.com
Sat Oct 1 10:36:49 EEST 2005

I have a couple of questions regarding the default dovecot packaged with
RedHat ES 4. The dovecot version is 0.99.11-2.EL4.1 which I assume is
considerably behind the current stable version of 0.99.14. Is it the
fact that I am using an older version of dovecot that SSHA passwords in
an openldap directory are not recognized and give the following error:

dovecot-auth: Unknown password scheme SMD5

?

LDAP  is working as expected for NFS maildirs.

I have dovecot 0.99.13 working on fedora core 3, but the stability of
fedora leaves much to be desired and would like to get a stable, low
maintenance install of dovecot on an enterprise supported linux.

Redhat does not have packages for 0.99.14 and I would rather compile
from source if possible. I've specified --with-ldap as part of the
configure script, but am wondering if there is anything more to add to
support SSHA passwords.

Until dovecot 1.0 is proven in the field, it is not a consideration for
the production environment this server is being used for.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Mel Llaguno