[Dovecot] Dovecot pop3 locking up

Neil Wilson neil at dcdata.co.za
Tue Oct 4 16:49:00 EEST 2005

Hi guys and girls,

I am having a problem with Dovecot.

It seems like it's the dovecot auth daemon that is locking up(I'm guessing)

I am running SuSe 9.3 Pro, and Dovecot 0.99.14

Everything works perfectly for a few days, and then eventually I end up
with tons of what look to be "stale" processes.(I'm guessing roughly 300
like below.)

4204 ?        S      0:00 dovecot-auth
24722 ?        S      0:00 pop3-login
24723 ?        S      0:00 pop3-login
24724 ?        S      0:00 dovecot-auth
24921 ?        S      0:00 dovecot-auth

When I "telnet 127.0.0.1 110" I get a login, and I can type "User
blabla" I get an "OK" then I type in "pass blabla" and then I don't get
any response, and I have to kill my session with "Ctrl ]" and then "quit".

I am using both POP3 and IMAP, but it seems to be only the POP3 daemon
that dies.

There are roughly 60 users on the network, and it dies after roughly 5
days of usage, and I then have to restart Dovecot by running
/etc/init.d/dovecot stop and then start

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
--