[Dovecot] Re: time out error and email with attachments

Mark Plaksin happy at usg.edu
Wed Oct 5 17:32:20 EEST 2005

Roberto Cipollini <roberto.cipollini at allmediasolution.com> writes:

> "imap(roberto.cipollini at allmediasolution.com): Oct 04 17:35:03 Error:
> Timeout while waiting for release of exclusive fcntl() lock for index
> file /mail/allmediasolution.com/roberto.cipollini/.INBOX/.imap.index "

I have a similar problem with Dovecot 1.0.alpha3 on a Solaris 9 box.  The
only thing accessing my folders is a single imap process (i.e., the Dovecot
imap binary).  I haven't seen this log message but I do see hangs; gdb
shows this stack trace:

#0  0xff11c32c in _private_fcntl () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#1  0xff1162c8 in s_fcntl () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#2  0x00038e80 in mbox_lock_fcntl ()
#3  0x00039094 in mbox_update_locking ()

mbox_lock_fcntl gets called inside a while loop; next time it hangs I'll
see whether it's looping or the flock system call is just hanging.
Switching to dotlocking might make the problem go away; flock is supposed
to be faster.

Interestingly I'm the only one of our test users who has the problem.  I'm
also the only one using Gnus as my IMAP client.