[Dovecot] dovecot won't launch

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Tue Oct 11 21:52:26 EEST 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:43:00 -0400
Chad Cunningham <ccunning at math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

: Hi,
:
: I downloaded the latest dovecot (1.0 alpha 3) and tried numerous
: installs which get me nothing. No errors, no crashes, no segfaults
: and no running dovecot. It just seems to silently exit. I was trying
: to build with mysql support but I've also tried a plain old install,
: just configure, make install, etc. I get nada. strace doesn't show
: anything, at least as far as I can tell. No messages are logged. No
: output to the console.
:
: Any ideas? My only guess, no idea if it matters, is that dovecot
: doesn't like the fact that this is a VPS (User Mode Linux, Fedora
: Core 3). But I don't see any reason why not, other mail servers are
: pretty happy...

Is anything else listening on *:143 or [::]:143?

--
Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life.
		-- Eric Hoffer