[Dovecot] How to set up a passwd file for virtual hosting

Richard Freeman richard at webarriba.com
Wed Oct 12 14:41:35 EEST 2005

Hi,

Exim4 is running fine and I am trying to set up Dovecot 0.99 to handle
virtual users (http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/VirtualhostingWithExim)
so I don't have to set up user accounts for each e-mail address I want
to server out via pop3.

I need to create a user and passd file, a bit like /etc/passwd, but in a
different location for my dovecot virtual users. I can create a blank
file such as /etc/dovecot/users (beware my increasing vi skills...) but
how do I add users and passwords to this? Can I just type them in and
separate them with colons?

If so, how would I add a password to the file? I am happy using the
passwd command which alters my user passwords in /etc/passwd. Can I use
it or something similar to create the passwords for the users in my new
file /etc/dovecot/users ? Is there any way I can use an MD5 hash or
CRYPT format for the passwords?

Yours,

Richard