[Dovecot] new to dovecot

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 20:49:10 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 18:07 +0100, John O'Loughlin wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm new to dovecot (and imap in general!) having installed only only
> today. My current set up is exim as MTA with procmail delivering
> /var/spool/mail/%user (which gets nfs exported). We also have a pop3
> server running as well. I'm  moving to new machine and though I'd look at
> dovecot and squirrelmail.
>
> In /etc/dovecot.conf I'm confused by the default_mail_env, what exactly
> are we trying to set here? We have $MAIL set already, so for example what
> does the line:
>
> default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> try to set
>
> Cheers
> John

Hi John,

That looks right to me, it basically means that the inbox
is /var/mail/[user] and subfolders are stored in /~/mail/
I suggest something like the following for you as you are using NFS,
simply because the indexes aren't very NFS safe and unique to each
machine anyway:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%
u:INDEX=/tmp/dovecot/indexes/%u

Regards
Andrew
--