[Dovecot] Moving old files

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Wed Oct 19 01:27:29 EEST 2005

Jon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wish to automatically remove mail files not accessed for some time. I
> have done this in the file system and it works fine although it is a bit
> slow when the mail client access the mailbox after changes.
>
> Are there any way of having dovecot moving the files so that index and
> subscriptions are kept more same? Can one use Dovecot from the command
> line?

The best approach to this, IMHO, is to get Dovecot to move the messages as it
normally would - via IMAP commands.  I'm sure I've seen various tools on
Freshmeat or Sourceforge or the like which will connect to your IMAP server and
move old mails to another folder, or delete them.

This would certainly save having to write (and maintain!) a new tool to move
mail and update the indexes.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net