[Dovecot] Alpha4 pre-release, please upgrade

Glenn Leavell glenn at usg.edu
Thu Oct 20 06:45:33 EEST 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 11:48:40PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 14:56 -0400, Glenn Leavell wrote:
> >   dovecot: Oct 16 14:20:15 Error: imap(glenn): flock() locks not supported
> ..
> > This looks like a locking issue on an index file.  I had been leaving
> > lock_method unset, letting it default to fcntl (inferred from the comments
> > in dovecot-example.conf).  I changed it to the explicit "lock_method = fcntl"
> > and this fixed the problem.
> >
> > Has the lock_method default changed from alpha3 to alpha4?
>
> Yes. I forgot to mention this.

Thanks for the explanation.  I'm now explicitly setting lock_method=fcntl
in dovecot.conf, and that solved the problem, of course.  However, one of
my testers has been running a PREAUTH imap directly through an SSH tunnel
(mutt supports this, for example).  The command he's been running is:

	/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

It appears that the imap binary itself doesn't read the config file, so it
was exiting with the same "flock()locks not supported" error.  He was able
to work around this by setting the LOCK_METHOD environment variable to the
imap binary.  But this means that he, as an end-user, needed to understand
the behind-the-scenes locking situation in order to successfully run
PREAUTH imap.  In fact, he's been having to manually set the MAIL
environment variable so that PREAUTH imap can find his INBOX (settings in
dovecot.conf would normally help with this).  Does it make sense for him
to have to set these environment variables, or should PREAUTH imap read
dovecot.conf for relevent settings?

Thanks,
Glenn

--
Glenn Leavell <glenn at usg.edu>
Office of Information and Instructional Technology