[Dovecot] Large IMAP operations tend to timeout and cause problems?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 20 13:09:28 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 10:54 +0200, Alen Salamun wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have moved from Courier-IMAP to Dovecot some month ago. It is quite
> stable on everyday use (1.0alpha4) but it has constant problems with
> large IMAP/SSL operations. We use Maildir format.
>
> For example if I select 400 messages, mark them deleted and use "purge
> command" in Thunderbird (to actually delete them) TB starts to do
> something and runs and runs and runs....Then I get script timed out
> errror and I have to restart TB. That never happened with Courier-Imap.
> Same thing happens for example moving 1000msgs to another folder or
> something like that.

So it's always about deleting messages from one mailbox?

And you have noticed this with the alpha4 pre-release too? Since it had
one change that could have been related to this.

> Another thing is still that from time to time dovecot indexes get
> corrupted and users can't access some folders. Then I have to delete
> dovecot* in that Maildir folder and it works again.

Even if there are errors, Dovecot should usually fix the indexes itself
without having to delete them manually. What errors exactly do you get?
What filesystem do you use?