[Dovecot] 1.0.alpha4 released

Anders Lund anders.lund at uninett.no
Fri Oct 21 22:06:58 EEST 2005

Tomi Hakala wrote:
> Anders Lund wrote:
>
>>lock_method = fcntl
>>mbox_read_locks = fcntl dotlock
>>mbox_write_locks = fcntl dotlock
>

> Could you try to see if switching to flock would make any difference?
> Just remember to make sure your MTA/LDA uses at least dotlocking if
> you cannot switch it to use flock.
>
> I'm personally using only flock and I haven't seen any problems with
> Dovecot 1.0.alpha4.

Only for "lock_method", or the other two lock methods as well?

I use Postfix and have set:

mailbox_delivery_lock = fcntl, dotlock

>>>Are you using Dovecot LDA?
>>
>>No.
>
> Since you are using mbox you would gain a lot from using Dovecot LDA,
> I'v been using it a several months now.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would I gain a lot from using Dovecot
LDA? Typically users could use Procmail for filtering, and deliver to
their different mboxes. I might be interested in looking at Dovecot LDA
because of SIEVE, but can't see how using it will give me any big
advantages. On the other hand I haven't looked too much at it, so I
guess I should have a closer look at the doc/wiki. ;-)

>>I've not had any crash yet.
>

> Assertion failures are crashes, you should get core file from each
> of those if your system is configured to create core files, you also
> need "mail_drop_priv_before_exec = yes" in dovecot.conf.

OK. I'll add "mail_drop_priv_before_exec" and see if I get any core files.

Thanks for the suggestions Tomi.

Kippis!

- Anders