[Dovecot] Two "pre-migration" questions

Alan Mead alan.d.mead at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 22:25:43 EEST 2005

I have read the migration docs. They seem to relate to migrating from one
imap product to dovecot on the same server. I'm interested in migrating my
Maildir-formatted email from one server to another.

1. Can I tar my ~/mail directory on serverX.com, untar it on a different
physical serverY.com (initially with a different domain name), and still see
my mail when I access imap.serverY.com <http://imap.serverY.com> (dovecot's
running on serverY.com .. but let me know if there are any tricks that I
need to make this work).

2. If I maintain large mailboxes and check my mail frequently, how does the
dovecot server load compare to something like apache or Samba?

I ask because I have a vanity domain that I mostly use for email and I want
to ensure that I can migrate my precious emails to a new service provider.
And the provider that I'm considering offers low-cost virtual dedicated
servers but meters usage (including RAM and CPU).

One of the reasons I have question #1 is that the server name seems to be
part of the email file names...

amead:/home/amead> ls mail/cur | head -2
2022292282.22297_0.vulcan.rootr.net:2,S
2022312282.3225_0.vulcan.rootr.net:2,S

(rootr.net <http://rootr.net> is my current provider, not my vanity domain;
vulcan is the name of their mailserver) I don't know what effect this will
have, if any?

Thanks!

-Alan