[Dovecot] Two "pre-migration" questions

Alan Mead alan.d.mead at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 05:48:42 EEST 2005

On 10/25/05, Curtis Maloney <cmaloney at cardgate.net> wrote:

> Alan Mead wrote:
> > 1. Can I tar my ~/mail directory on serverX.com, untar it on a different
> > physical serverY.com (initially with a different domain name), and still
> see
> > my mail when I access imap.serverY.com <http://imap.serverY.com> <
> http://imap.serverY.com> (dovecot's
> > running on serverY.com .. but let me know if there are any tricks that I
> > need to make this work).
>
> Sure can. Dovecot doesn't care where you mail came from, or who it was
> sent to.
> Just that it's where you told it to look for it.
>
> > One of the reasons I have question #1 is that the server name seems to
> be
> > part of the email file names...
> >
> > amead:/home/amead> ls mail/cur | head -2
> > 2022292282.22297_0.vulcan.rootr.net:2,S
> > 2022312282.3225_0.vulcan.rootr.net:2,S
>
> This is part of the Maildir naming algorithm, and is used to generate
> "unique"
> message file names.

Curtis, many thanks for your reply! Clarification: Let's assume I'm a
*complete moron* about email... Do I need to modify the naming of the files?
Or is there anything else about moving these files that would be obvious to
a non-moron, but not to me? It's really as simple as tar'ing them on the old
server and untar'ing them on the new server!?

-Alan