[Dovecot] [info] Spamcop listing

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Thu Oct 27 18:05:29 EEST 2005

Hi Timo,

On 27 Oct 2005 at 17:27, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> spoke, thus:

> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 09:14 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> > Smtp1.song.fi and smtp2.song.fi, our list servers, seem to have gotten
> > listed in the bl.spamcop.net RBL. Spamcop listings are temporary and will
> > time out, and because of occasional major false positives (or perhaps
> > collateral damage?) like this I don't use it to reject mail. Anyone who
> > IS using Spamcop to reject mail has missed much of today's list traffic.
>
> Oh. I changed to use smtp.song.fi because dovecot.org's IP was listed as
> "Dynamic/Generic IP/rDNS address" by Sorbs. Maybe I should change back then
> if Spamcop is used more?..

In my bitter experience, SORBS causes more damage than any of the other
BLs put together and is used very heavily, SpamCop included among other,
lesser lists.  SpamCop listings of listhosts are usually caused by silly
users who were not doing their homework properly and used the reporting
interface to do the wrong thing.  EuroCAUCE was even listed once!  Your
resolutions are to either wait for SpamCop to give up on the host, to hope
that the user repents and undoes the damage by request, that someone
appeals on your behalf, or to look up the IPs at SpamCop, review the
tatters of the message you are allowed to look at, and to try to find the
subscriber who did this with tracefields.  It won't be easy, though (and
judging from forum posts, you aren't likely to find the people helpful in
defending a so-called sp at mmer).  Anyway, you mustn't surrender. :-)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Sabahattin

--
If an email tells you to forward it to all your friends, please
temporarily forget that I am your friend.

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 20 88008915
Mobile: +44 7986 053399
Email/MSN: <mail at Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com>
Skype: SabahattinGucukoglu
(requires authorisation, add me to your list first)
SpeakFreely: Chalcedony.Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com
(Please use CELP compression if your processor allows)