[Dovecot] [info] Spamcop listing

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Thu Oct 27 18:44:06 EEST 2005

Hi /dev/rob0,

On 27 Oct 2005 at 10:22, /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk> spoke, thus:

> On Thursday 2005-October-27 10:05, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
> > among other, lesser lists.  SpamCop listings of listhosts are usually
> > caused by silly users who were not doing their homework properly and used
> > the reporting interface to do the wrong thing.  EuroCAUCE was even listed
> > once!  Your resolutions are to either wait for SpamCop to give up on the
> > host, to hope that the user repents and undoes the damage by request,
> > that someone appeals on your behalf, or to look up the IPs at SpamCop,
> > review the tatters of the message you are allowed to look at, and to try
> > to find the subscriber who did this with
>
> Again IMO the better solution is to go back to using the relay which is
> under his control. I don't disagree with you for the most part, but I do
> think he'll fare better without using the song.fi relays.

I just checked out the reporting history, and I think you're right -
there's some genuine spam coming from the host.  If it's a shared host
then of course any non-shared under-control individual host is preferable
(since there's a smaller chance of reporters accusing it), though I still
worry that SORBS has a poor record of being nice (and a good record of
being "Impassively righteous").  I'm thinking of my days back on cable
with a dynamic address ... but as you've said there's a better case for
having the relay host unlisted because it's well-configured.

As for me, I'm pleased not to be using either BL - I use the delayed
greeting trick to do what most modern BLs can't - block most zombie
traffic.

Cheers,
Sabahattin

--
If an email tells you to forward it to all your friends, please
temporarily forget that I am your friend.

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 20 88008915
Mobile: +44 7986 053399
Email/MSN: <mail at Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com>
Skype: SabahattinGucukoglu
(requires authorisation, add me to your list first)
SpeakFreely: Chalcedony.Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com
(Please use CELP compression if your processor allows)