[Dovecot] hangup with corrupted indexes

Sergey Redin list at redin.info
Fri Oct 28 09:52:20 EEST 2005

Hello everyone,

I remember that Timo wrote in this maillist that if index files are
corrupted,
dovecot should be OK and just recreate it. So I report here a bug: I have
corrupted indexes which make pop3 and imap processes to hangup right
after the first list command. The process does not respond and eats 90%
of CPU. Just unpack http://redin.info/dovecot-corrupted-index.tgz (10 Kb)
into a user's IMAP root (I have mbox storage, but the same thing for
maildir
with this indexes), do the chown, and try to check the email.

I know that the problem can be fixed by removing the index files or using
INDEX=MEMORY, but it is claimed that dovecot is failsafe and can deal
with any kind of corrupted index files. This is the only reason why I
report
it here.

I have 1.0.alpha4 on FreeBSD 4.11 (installed from ports).

Best regards, Sergey Redin.