[Dovecot] [info] Spamcop listing

TDC Song Postmaster postmaster at song.fi
Sun Oct 30 16:27:21 EET 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 07:13 -0500, John Peacock wrote:
> Just to emphasize here that the SpamCop listing was 100% legitimate, even though
> the Dovecot list was a classic innocent bystander.  If, instead of
> rate-limiting, the Song.fi network instead blocked port 25 completely except
> from their own mail servers (for residential customers), this problem wouldn't
> have come up at all.

Outbound SMTP port to Internet is blocked from residental customers,
this is excactly why spam was relayed through a SMTP relay server.
All major Finnish ISPs block SMTP out because it is what Finnish
Communications Regulatory Authority recommends.

> Actually, for residential customers, I would require SMTP-AUTH for outbound
> relay, which would go even farther towards eliminating unauthorized traffic.

What difference would that make because 99% users who are affected by
spam proxy viruses store their username and password into email client
which makes those available to any viruses like SMTP relay server is.

TDC Song Postmaster