[Dovecot] dovecot/pop-before-smtp

Lorens dovecot.fdop at tagged.lorens.org
Wed Sep 7 15:32:16 EEST 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 04:50:12PM -0700, Micah Stevens wrote:
> Okay, just tried this. Doesn't work. I'm using 0.99 as packaged for RHEL 3.
> Would that make a difference?

Yes. The syntax changed.

> login_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/popbsmtp.sh
> /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login

I'm fairly certain that login_executable is not the same thing as the
mail_executable.

> Starting IMAP daemon (dovecot): Fatal: Can't use login executable
> /usr/libexec/dovecot/popbsmtp.sh /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login: No such
> file or directory

Especially as the popbsmtp script should be launched for
each login, and not at daemon start. In 1.0 there are two
executables, mail_executable launched for logins, and (from
memory) auth_executable launched at daemon start, so I suppose
login_executable is the wrong one :-)

I diagnose the error you get as meaning that the space is not ed
separat out, and that dovecot tries to fork the executable named

	/usr/libexec/dovecot/popbsmtp.sh /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login

which obviously won't work.

> Permissions are 777 on the popbsmtp.sh script. I double checked this.
>
> I tried to just copy the config as stated, but dovecot didn't parse it,
> that's why I'm assuming it's for 1.x versions:

Correct.

Not good enough at 0.99 to say what the equivalent would be (I
found that I needed 1.0 before I tried to do pbsmtp).

> So I'm stuck, I also tried putting an insert statement on the user_query,
> but that fails as Lorens mentioned.

Problem with direct SQL is that I can't manage to make dovecot
execute two SQL statements. If you're using a db with stored
procedures you could maybe squeeze through that loophole, but
your best bet is to find out what user_executable should be
(maybe the same thing?)

> Back to pop-before-smtp which doesn't work either, but it works better. :)

:-)

HTH