[Dovecot] Problem in dovecot 0.99 - login username case sensitive create fake maildirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Sep 11 14:27:18 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 09:36 +0200, Max CtRiX wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed a weird behaviour in dovecot 0.99 which, I hope, is not
> replicated in 1.0-alpha.
>
> First I have to say that it works very well.
> So if I login with user foo at bar.com, the maildir is created.
>
> But when I log in with User FOO at BAR.COM, or FOO at BAR.com, then
> two other maildirs are created. Authentication is ok (I'm using mysql
> backend) but no mails are obviously found.

One problem here is that mysql matches strings case-insensitively. If
you changed your pass_query to match the username case-sensitively, this
problem wouldn't exist (I'm not sure how that could be done, probably
there's some function).

With 1.0alpha you can also return a changed username in pass_query. For
example:

password_query = SELECT userid as user, password FROM users WHERE userid = '%u'

That changes the username to be in the same case as it's in database.