[Dovecot] Re: mailbox corruption

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Wed Sep 14 16:29:51 EEST 2005

On Wednesday 14 Sep 2005 1:13 pm, Yannick Majoros wrote:

> >If you can't figure out which is broken, then you'll have to use
> >maildir files.
>
> Do you think it is worth to go
> for maildirs? Would the transition be easy enough to be sure that it
> won't be worst ?

As someone on both lists, whilst I've used dovecot with mbox on one server
with only a couple of glitches in about 1 year (always in the Trash folder -
guess it is a hot folder), I would always choose to deploy dovecot with
maildir. Indeed I see no reason to use mbox any more - I think well and
truely obselete.

The exception was where I needed to move just one user (of many) to IMAP4, on
a box with POP3 and mbox format mail already happily in use. This server will
be replaced when I'm back from my holidays, and the replacement will use
maildir for everyone.

Can't vouch for big transitions from one to other, but there are a lot of
stories and howtos out there.