[Dovecot] Lost transaction log file in alpha2

James Berry james at jberry.us
Tue Sep 20 19:57:03 EEST 2005

On Sep 18, 2005, at 4:37 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 14:32 -0700, James Berry wrote:
>
>> Sep 16 14:27:13 caddy dovecot: imap(jberry): Maildir /Users/jberry/
>> Maildir sync: UID < next_uid (36243 < 36244, file =
>> 1126905722.Ve000002I164d7f.caddy.edworks.com:2,)
>>

> This is the real problem. Have to figure out why this seems to be
> happening with people..

This has continued to keep happening to me, about once a day or so.
Is there something I can do to help you track this down?

>> Sep 16 14:27:21 caddy dovecot: imap(jberry): Lost transaction log
>> file /Users/jberry/Maildir/dovecot.index.log seq 1
> These then just happen because Dovecot didn't close the connection but
> just left it there trying to constantly acccess the mailbox. Should
> fix
> this too..
>> Once it gets in this state, the only way to recover from the failure
>> seems to be to delete the log files. The problem does not heal
>> itself.
> Killing the imap process works also.

No, actually that doesn't seem to work. I can kill and restart
dovecot and the client (making sure all the processes have quit), and
when I bring it back up it still complains about the lost transaction
logs and won't let the client continue until the logs have been deleted.

James.