[Dovecot] New mailbox format

Dan Hollis test3943395 at anime.net
Sat Sep 24 00:29:41 EEST 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I've been doing some thinking on a new better mailbox format that'd be
> faster than mbox and maildir for most common uses. Comments welcome.

Actually an idea i've had in mind for a while is something more akin to
PAM, eg an end user definable plugin system for mailbox handling. dovecot
etc would just use API calls to plugins. People can write whatever
backend they want -- maildir, sql, even gdbm, csv, xml or WEBDAV if they
feel like it. And anything could use the modules -- sendmail, postfix,
procmail, etc.

-Dan