[Dovecot] Hostname passed to PAM as rhost

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon Sep 26 23:12:50 EEST 2005

Jethro R Binks wrote:
> However, your comments are probably correct in practice because those
> implementing multiple hostnames -> single IP rarely put in the
> corresponding multiple PTR records from the in-addr.arpa entry back to
> each of the hostnames.

I said "in practice" and I meant it (I do know the RFC's in question).
I'm not aware of any common application which supports multiple PTR
records correctly, even if configured correctly at the DNS level.  It
can even cause problems with authoritative DNS servers which return
records in a random order (like tinydns), where the client library may
receive a different in-addr.arpa answer every time it is run.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group