[Dovecot] a few questions about my experience with alpha1

Glenn Leavell glenn at usg.edu
Wed Sep 28 20:47:34 EEST 2005

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 04:33:51PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 15:02 -0400, Glenn Leavell wrote:
> > > Is it only logging that stops, or does everything else stop as well? How
> > > about sending SIGHUP again, does it fix the problem? Or if not, does
> > > SIGUSR1 fix it (SIGUSR1 only reopens log files)?
> >
> > Thanks very much for the followup and for the help.  It's only the logging
> > that stops; the service continues to run just fine.  Sending another SIGHUP
> > or a SIGUSR1 does NOT kickstart the logging once it's stopped.  I can
> > reproduce the problem consistently right now.
>
> Where are you logging to? Syslog or some file? Could you try if changing
> it to other one makes it work again? Also when this happens, could you
> run "truss -p <dovecot's pid>" and see if it's still doing write() calls
> to log?

I've been logging to a file.  The problem doesn't appear to be present when
logging through syslog.

I ran truss, and dovecot *is* continuing to do write() calls to the log
file, but I never see any output after sending a HUP signal after the
resulting "Warning: SIGHUP received - reloading configuration" entry.

By the way, I've upgraded to Alpha3, and it behaves the same way.

Thanks!

Glenn

--
Glenn Leavell <glenn at usg.edu>
Office of Information and Instructional Technology