[Dovecot] C programmers, please help. need dovecot patch

Adam M. Dunn adunn at hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu
Sat Apr 1 00:51:28 EEST 2006

Hi all.

Can any C programmers out there tell me how to fix Dovecot to default to
Maildir format when autodecting can't find anything?  I don't know C, but
it seems like it would be a simple thing.

Right now, I use the autodetect mailbox feature because we want users to
choose to optionally be able to use Mbox format (we have some diehard unix
users with non-maildir clients). I have Maildrop setup to check for the
existance of a ~/Maildir folder in the user's home, and if it exists, it
delivers there.  Otherwise it falls back to ~/Mail where mbox style files
go.

The problem with Dovecot is there is no way to tell the autodetect feature
what to default to, and if it can't find anything, it automatically
creates a folder called ~/mail under the user's home and primes it with
an Mbox file, but I'd rather it create a ~/Maildir instead.  So if we have
for example, a new user with no mail yet, and they log in via IMAP before
getting any mail from maildrop, Dovecot will create a them a ~/mail
folder.  So when they DO get mail, our maildrop filters will think they
are an Mbox user.  I could do some fancy Maildrop filters to fix that when
they get their first mail, but in the meantime the unknowing user could
try creating things via IMAP that gets overwritten.  Anyway, it would be
much cleaner if Dovecot just did what I wanted.

If anyone could point me to the place to patch my copy of Dovecot, I would
GREATLY apprecieate it.  I don't know C, but I know many other languages.

I would also like to see this be added via the config file in future
releases.  So consider this a feature request.  Not only that, but more
control over the autodetection process in general would be REALLY nice.

Thanks.
Adam