[Dovecot] imap processes remaing after dovecot shutdown

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Sat Apr 1 18:40:23 EEST 2006

Hello,

I'm using dovecot-1.0.beta3. When I shutdown dovecot (kill -term on the
master-pid) the main process disappears, but all the child processes
still remain. Why doesn't dovecot kill them as I shutdown the
master-process? When I shutdown mysql, all child processes will be
shutdown, too. When I shutdown apache, all child processes willbe
shutdown, too. Thats what I expect on every application.
Usually there is no need to shutdown dovecot. But for some reasons, from
time to time 50 and more processes of one user are running and I don't
know how else to get rid of them. I don't like to kill the child
processes always manually.

Regards
Marten