[Dovecot] Quick question. Thunderbird/Outlook = no love.

Thomas Zajic zlatko at gmx.at
Sun Apr 2 12:46:02 EEST 2006

* Thomas Zajic, 2006-04-02 10:54:

> Is there a way to get a complete unencrypted session transcript from either
> Dovecot or TB to find out what's going on? Even  with all of Dovecot's
> *_debug and *_verbose options set to "yes", all I get in my log files is
> [...]

Okay, now I'm pretty sure that the problem is somwehere in TB's code (oh
great). I modified Dovecot's imap-login to always log the capabilities
it sends, and this is what I got:

Apr  2 11:13:20 airframe dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.beta3 starting up
Apr  2 11:13:38 airframe dovecot: imap-login: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5: rip=192.168.1.1, lip=192.168.1.3
Apr  2 11:13:38 airframe dovecot: imap-login: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5: rip=192.168.1.1, lip=192.168.1.3, TLS

Note how it first says "STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED", and then changes to
"AUTH=PLAIN [...], TLS". So I assume that from Dovecot's side, the TLS
negotiation was successful, and TB may now log in using PLAIN. Somehow,
though, TB seems to think otherwise, and presents its dreaded error popup:
"You cannot log in to $SERVER because the server has disabled login. You
may need to connect via SSL or TLS. Please check the account seetings for
your mail server."

Now, the funny thing is that even though this popup comes up every time
I click on a mail, and the mail does _not_ get displayed, it _still_ gets
marked as read on the server (ie. TB's fat green dot changes to a small
grey one). Am I right in assuming that this shouldn't be possible at all
if TB was _really_ unable to log in, or is TB tracking a mail's read/unread
status locally? But even if TB was doing this, marking the mail read even
though it thinks it is not logged in (and therefore unable to retrieve it
from the server) would be a bug, no?

Thomas