[Dovecot] mbox-sync-update.c error

Carlos Vicente cvicente at network-services.uoregon.edu
Sun Apr 2 22:35:10 EEST 2006

Hi Timo, thanks for replying to this.

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 15:20 -0800, Carlos Vicente wrote:
>> Mar 31 15:10:34 dovecot: imap(cvicente): mbox sync: UID inserted in the
>> middle of mailbox /home/xxx/Mail/xxx (93 > 3, seq=93, idx_msgs=3455)
>
> This is the real problem. It shouldn't be happening. Either something
> outside Dovecot is breaking mboxes in a way Dovecot doesn't expect, or
> Dovecot's index files are being broken, or locking is broken.

Nothing else is accessing my mboxes other than dovecot.

> Are you using NFS? What other software than Dovecot touches the mboxes?
> Do users have direct access to the mboxes? Try changing
> lock_method=fcntl?

I am not using NFS and I tried changing the lock_method.  The problem
persists.
It appears to happen each time the mbox contents are modified, i.e. when
deleting a message or when moving a message into the problematic folder.
BTW, this only happens with one of the folders.
I can only fix it (temporarily) by removing the indexes and the lock file.

>> Mar 31 15:10:34  dovecot: imap(cvicente): file mbox-sync-update.c: line
>> 55 (mbox_sync_move_buffer): assertion failed: (ctx->mail.offset +
>> ctx->mail.space <= ctx->hdr_offset + pos || ctx->mail.offset >
>> ctx->hdr_offset + pos + have)
>
> This isn't good, but it's most likely caused by the above problem.

Any other ideas?

cv