[Dovecot] mbox-sync-update.c error

Robert Hart hartr at interweft.com.au
Mon Apr 3 05:24:48 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 15:20 -0800, Carlos Vicente wrote:
>
>> Mar 31 15:10:34 dovecot: imap(cvicente): mbox sync: UID inserted in the
>> middle of mailbox /home/xxx/Mail/xxx (93 > 3, seq=93, idx_msgs=3455)
>>

> This is the real problem. It shouldn't be happening. Either something
> outside Dovecot is breaking mboxes in a way Dovecot doesn't expect, or
> Dovecot's index files are being broken, or locking is broken.
>
> Are you using NFS? What other software than Dovecot touches the mboxes?
> Do users have direct access to the mboxes? Try changing
> lock_method=fcntl?

OK - more extensive testing today with

    lock_method=fcntl?

Seems to indicate that this overcomes the problem I was having. I will
now switch one of my servers (with a small number of users) over to FC5
(which includes dovecot beta3) and see if any problems arise - in which
case I let you know!

Many tks for the help and also for the dovecot itself!

Robert Hart                                  hartr at interweft.com.au
+61 (0)438 385 533                           http://www.hart.wattle.id.au