[Dovecot] Questions about differences to other mail servers

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Apr 4 00:01:25 EEST 2006

I just transferred over my first server from Suse Linux with
uw-imap(ipop3/imap2003) to CentOS with Dovecot (0.99). I didn't find any
problems in the testing phase, but when the actual transfer into
production happened I found a few problems crop up:

1. Dovecot wants to chdir in the user's home directory even when logging
in via POP3. However, the mailboxes for POP3 are all in /var/spool/mail.
What's the reason for this and can I stop this?

2. In addition I found that the home directories need additional
permissions I did not need when using ipop3/imap2003, although this imap
server needs to write/read in the same directories as dovecot.
Specifically, I had to change the permissions on the directory right above
the pop user directories from 750 to 755. Those directories are owned by
the user and the primary group he belongs to. It seems that dovecot
somehow doesn't "use" the primary group of the user and so can't traverse
thru and the chdir fails.

3. Furthermore, Dovecot created an IMAP directory structure within the
home directory of most users like "mail/.imap/INBOX" (on some it reused
the existing Mail -uppercase- directory). Just on a simple first POP3
login. What's the reason for doing this? Maybe that user is never going to
use IMAP? Does it test for both mail and Mail before it creates it's own
structure or what does it do? I assume this is related to
default_mail_env?

4. Dovecot supports "auth plain", does it also support "auth login"? If
so, how do I enable it?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany