[Dovecot] Full text search indexing

Bill Boebel bill at webmail.us
Thu Apr 6 12:55:37 EEST 2006

On Thu, April 6, 2006 4:56, Steffen Kaiser said:

> Hmm, I'm not certain if yet another search engine is really good, I mean:
>
> So, how about a search API one can call an external indexing service?

I like this idea.  Add a hook to call a plugin for: (1) indexing new
messages, (2) moving/deleting messages, and (3) performing full text
searches.

It seems reasonable these days with GB+ sized mailboxes, to violate this
part of the IMAP RFC (2060) and use a powerful search engine like Lucene
which doesn't support substring matches:

  6.4.4.  SEARCH Command
      ..
      In all search keys that use strings, a message matches the key if
      the string is a substring of the field.

Bill