[Dovecot] Questions about differences to other mail servers

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 9 14:41:00 EEST 2006

See bottom of http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation

> 2. In addition I found that the home directories need additional
> permissions I did not need when using ipop3/imap2003, although this imap
> server needs to write/read in the same directories as dovecot.
> Specifically, I had to change the permissions on the directory right above
> the pop user directories from 750 to 755. Those directories are owned by
> the user and the primary group he belongs to. It seems that dovecot
> somehow doesn't "use" the primary group of the user and so can't traverse
> thru and the chdir fails.

Hmm. It should use it. If you used 1.0betas, you could check what
exactly it's using as gid by setting mail_debug=yes

> 3. Furthermore, Dovecot created an IMAP directory structure within the
> home directory of most users like "mail/.imap/INBOX" (on some it reused
> the existing Mail -uppercase- directory). Just on a simple first POP3
> login. What's the reason for doing this? Maybe that user is never going to
> use IMAP? Does it test for both mail and Mail before it creates it's own
> structure or what does it do? I assume this is related to
> default_mail_env?

Although the directory is named .imap, it doesn't mean that it's
IMAP-specific. Perhaps I should have named it ".dovecot" instead. Index
files are stored there, and they can speed up accessing mails also for
POP3 users who keep the mails in the server.

> 4. Dovecot supports "auth plain", does it also support "auth login"? If
> so, how do I enable it?

1.0betas do.