[Dovecot] 1.0.beta6 released

Rob Middleton robm-dovecot at centenary.org.au
Wed Apr 12 14:42:21 EEST 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> Failing that, an alternative kill signal sounds like the way to go.
>
> Now that I think of it, that won't work. The imap/pop3 processes kill
> themselves when they notice that the stderr pipe gets closed, so I can't
> think of a way for master to notify the imap/pop3 processes on-the-fly
> that they shouldn't die. Guess I'll add a setting instead.

What about the alternate kill signal to the master just stopping
listening for new connections? (release the *:143 and *:110 handles).

If logging by syslog you can happily have two dovecot masters sending
log lines ... won't work in other cases I suppose (suppose that is what
I'm missing?)

With both a new master and an old master you can then also choose to go
and do a proper kill on your old master 24 hours later or something like
that to ensure nothing runs on the old binaries for longer than 24 hours
(as a proper kill on the master now kills all the relevant children).

Rob.