[Dovecot] 1.0.beta6 released

Reuben Farrelly reuben-dovecot at reub.net
Wed Apr 12 15:41:00 EEST 2006

On 13/04/2006 12:27 a.m., Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 06:51, Reuben Farrelly wrote:
>
>> That's why there's "scheduled downtime" and "after hours" to do these things, in
>> case stuff goes wrong, as some users of horde with dovecot have found out lately ;)
>
> What's 'after hours' for a company with users all around the world?
> Interesting concept, though...

The same time you'd do routine maintenance on other systems and networks I guess.

I'm just not sure why people want to do upgrade surgery on critical systems
running on dovecot at any time, leave it in a 95% working state and hope users
don't notice, whereby upgrading any other service would be done in a more
controlled manner at a planned date/time with a full clean restart of the
service.  It only takes 10-15s to shut the child processes down and restart
them, and then you know that everything is running properly on the new version.

Upgrading apache/sendmail/postfix/bind/qmail all requires a full service restart
of the master and child processes, I'm not sure why there are complaints when
dovecot just takes on the same behaviour.

reuben