[Dovecot] strip domains]

Michael Baird mike at tc3net.com
Wed Apr 12 17:43:48 EEST 2006

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Michael Baird <mike at tc3net.com>
To: Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [Dovecot] strip domains
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:42:43 -0400

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 17:17 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 09:48 -0400, Michael Baird wrote:
> > I don't
> > know why there is so much resistance to supporting functionality that is
> > mostly a standard feature with other pop3/imap servers, and which also
> > makes it *much* easier to migrate to dovecot from other solutions which
> > support the domain stripping.
>
> I don't remember having seen all that much requests for this feature.
> Perhaps lately several people have asked for it, but for the last 3
> years there haven't been all that many people.
>
> If I added a new setting for every single feature people asked,
> dovecot-example.conf would be much larger than it currently is. And it
> already is too large I think.
I'm not asking for every new feature, just one that I think fits in with
the current design of dovecot already and is a standard feature provided
by other servers. You already provide the ability built in to "strip
domains" per say, with the %u and %d values built in. To accomplish what
I would like to do, I only need to be able to pass whatever combination
of these values I wish to my passdb and userdb functions of choice.

Regards
Michael Baird