[Dovecot] password length

Mark Richards mark.richards at massmicro.com
Wed Apr 12 21:09:30 EEST 2006

After setting up a very sweet Dovecot installation (with OpenLDAP) we're
finding something strange:

    passwords are accepted but only the first 8 characters
and
    anything less than 8 characters is an invalid password

For several reasons, including allowing longer passwords to make them more
difficult to crack, I'd rather be able to use longer passwords.

LDAP seems to have attributes for minimum and maximum password lengths.
Ours is set currently at 256 char maximum.  So my guess is that Dovecot may
be doing something, or there's a configuration item I missed.

Checked all the docs and the wiki.

Anyone?

Mark Richards