[Dovecot] unofficial Survey about your Dovecot server :) to compare with my own server setup...

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Thu Apr 13 08:06:00 EEST 2006

Curtis Maloney wrote:
> Flavio Domingos wrote:
>> Hi Borthers/Sisters
>>
>> Server: Apple Xserve G5 dual
>> RAM: 4GB
>> Number of Users: ~ 150 IMAP only users
>> Authentication: LDAP
>> Mailboxes sizes: ~200GB
>> Dovecot version: 1.0 Beta 5  (I am looking forward to beta 7 that was
>> released today)
>> Email client software: mostly Thunderbird 1.5
>>
>> Meanwhile, I'd like to know, if possible, whar are you using to run
>> Dovecot like hardware, OS version, number of users and problems that
>> you are experiencing. I'd like to compare with my setup and if it is
>> the case, migrate to pure Linux or FreeBSD if it is more stable than
>> OS/X!
>
> I like the idea of a roundup survey of what situations people are using
> Dovecot in.  It can be cited for new people to improve their confidence,
> and also let Timo know how great a job he's doing :)
>
> We're quite a small install, and quite an old version, but it chugs
> along nicely.
>
> Server: Sun Netra X1 ( UltraSPARC IIi 550MHz )
> RAM: 1GB
> Users: ~ 25 IMAP, 3 or 4 POP3
> Auth: passwd/shadow
> Maildir size: ~16GB
> Dovecot version: 0.99.14 (will move to 1.0 when I get time :)
> Client Software: Thunderbird
>
> I put in about 0 work in keeping it running... it just hums along
> without issue.

My setup at work is similar:

Server: Dell PowerEdge 1550 dual 1Ghz PIII
RAM: 4GB
Users: ~200 mix of IMAP and POP3
Auth: passwd/shadow
Maildir size: ~2GB  (I have fairly low filesystem quotas setup)
Dovecot version: 0.99.14 (waiting for the opportunity to test out 1.0
before migrating)
Client Software: Thunderbird, Becky!, Squirrelmail, possibly others

I'm also running sendmail/mimdefang/spamassassin/clamav on this machine.

alan