[Dovecot] unofficial Survey about your Dovecot server :) to compare with my own server setup...

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Thu Apr 13 14:48:08 EEST 2006

Chris Wakelin wrote:

> Server: Sun Fire 480, 4xUltraSparcIII 900Mhz
> Storage: Sun 1xT3 + 1xT4 arrays (Fibre Channel + RAID5)
> OS: Solaris 8
> RAM: 8GB
> Number of Users: ~20,000 mostly IMAP
> Authentication: Active Directory via PAM and pam_ldap
> Dovecot version: 1.0 Beta 3
> Email client software: various, mostly Outlook/Outlook Express and
> Prayer Webmail
> Mailboxes sizes: ~375GB inboxes 800GB folders
>
> Migrated from UW-IMAP in September with spectacular improvement in
> performance!
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

Just wondering - is it possible to install Dovecot on the same server as
UW IMAP but listening on a different port?
Will the installation of Dovecot mess up any of UW's files/libraries?

I'd like to try running them side by side first so that I can get
Dovecot configured properly 'in-place' then switch off UW and have
Dovecot listen on 143.

I'm just nervous about installing Dovecot on the server and corrupting
UW somehow!

Daniel