[Dovecot] can't connect to smtp, or login to imap, pop3

Sat Apr 15 18:40:36 EEST 2006

> i can send mail from the server (using mail), and i can receive mail in
> my user mailbox on the server
>
> but i can't send email using a client like thunderbird (it won't connect
> to the smtp server)

No offense, but Dovecot is not an MTA, it is a POP/IMAP server. It
doesn't send email, so I'm not sure why you are posting this part of
your problem to the Dovecot list - if your MTA is postfix, then you need
to go there for problems with it...

> and i can't download email from pop3 using thunderbird
> it always says authentication failed when i try to login
>
> using squirrelmail, it always says username and password incorrect
>
> but i know for sure the username and password are correct
>
> dovecot conf file is as folows

http://wiki.dovecot.org/UpgradingDovecot

Scroll down to the part about setting up ports for listening.

Charles