[Dovecot] Question about mail storage

Jim Trigg jtrigg at spamcop.net
Wed Apr 19 22:06:37 EEST 2006

On Wed, April 19, 2006 2:51 pm, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Stewart Dean wrote:
>> 3) I see that, in the default configuration, /everything/ will now be
>> under ~/Maildir and thus in the home directories.  Is there a reason to
>> get away from a separate INBOX directory (we use /var/spool/mail)?  I'd
>> have to rebuild the homedir filesystems to accommodate the INBOX
>> demands.  This isn't all that big a deal, I'd like to understand the
>> rationale..or should I just bow to the inevitable?
>
> That's the way how the maildir format is designed.

Not really, it's just a common default.  You can just as easily have the
Maildir directories elsewhere (for example, "default_mail_env =
maildir:/var/spool/mail/%u").  You can also have the Maildir home in the
home directory but the inbox elsewhere: "default_mail_env =
maildir:%h/Maildir:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u".

Jim