[Dovecot] Permissions for Public Namespace?

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Fri Apr 21 02:06:44 EEST 2006

<quote who="Timothy White">
> On 4/10/06, Gavin Henry <ghenry at suretecsystems.com> wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> We've been following:
>>
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedFolders
>>
>> But all we can do is subscribe. Our users can't create folders, move
>> e-mails into the top level folder etc.
>>
>> Am I not grasping the shared folders idea correctly?

Sorry for the huge delay!

> IIRC, firstly the 'top level' folder, just contains all the shared
> mailboxes, and isn't actually a mailbox in it's self.
>
> Secondly, I'm not sure about creating subfolders, but IIRC, only
> someone with access to the file system, and write permissions to the
> 'top level' folder, can create a shared mailbox.
>
> Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> For me, the concept of shared folders, is going to be emails for
> certain 'virtual users' will go into a shared folder, that other users
> can then all read, and respond to if needed. I'm still playing around,
> because what I need requires some weird stuff, including shared
> indexes for some folders, and private indexes for others.

Understood.

> For some people, a shared folder is just that. Got an email you want
> all your co-workers to see, maybe there is a jokes shared folder, that
> you can all copy your jokes into!
>
> What do YOU want to do with them? I'm sure there is probably a way for
> it to be made possible, if you can clearly define what you want done!

Right here goes:

For our client, we have 3 groups (departments). They have a Manager each.

Company Policy is no private e-mail.

Each Dept. Manager needs to see each persons INBOX and Sent maildir
folder, in their own Dept.

Also, the Users should not be able to delete e-mails in the Sent folder.

Our plan was to create lots of "dovecot-shared" in the users maildir, and
symlink them into the Managers Maildir. Not sure how to make the Sent
folder e-mails undeletable by the user though?

chattr -R -i Maildir/.Sent

Ideas?

Cheers.

--