[Dovecot] Very Complex Master Password Challenge

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 21 17:51:02 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 16:16 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Having a master password is great for helping users and doing tech
> support. But - suppose I'm hosting many domains and I want to create
> master passwords for each domain separately so that the owners of the
> domain can log in as any user within that domain?

How about if you used checkpassword as passdb? You can build your own
script which checks the authentication databases and checks that the
master user is valid. Dovecot gives the master user to checkpassword via
MASTER_USER environment.

As for a more complex solution, I don't think it'll happen until more
people start bugging me about it, and even then not before v1.0 :)