[Dovecot] Question about mail storage

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 18:48:36 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 09:56, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > Is there any way to make this transparent and separate the
> > changes to dovecot and the delivery agent?  That is, if
> > you have a Maildir INBOX, have dovecot automatically move
> > anything it finds in your unix mbox INBOX there, merging
> > with existing contents?
>
> Well, convert plugin was designed for a one-time transparent user moving
> when the user receives a new mail or when user logs in.
>
> But if you mean that you'd keep the MDA delivering mails to mbox and
> have Dovecot always automatically move the mails from mbox to maildir,
> that's not possible now.

Is it something you'd consider adding or do you think it is a
bad idea?  I'd prefer to let deliveries continue to go to mbox
and for pop users that download everything, pull directly from
there, but for imap users that keep messages on the server have
them moved to maildirs.

Can dovecot at least determine the INBOX type/location on a
per-user basis if the user arranges inbound delivery to a maildir
via .procmailrc settings on his own?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com