[Dovecot] Saving Maildir with Samba

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Apr 22 01:48:35 EEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 13:10 -0700, Brad Bateman wrote:
> The problem is not the directory, but rather the file name:
> 1145574924.P25062Q0M483195.bigoak.quickdispense.com:2,S
> There is a colon between the com and the 2.  Colons are a reserved
> character in the DOS world.  Yes....I thought about encapsulating
> (gzip) but was looking for a more elegant solution.

Run the backup script on the machine with Dovecot, and have it change
the : to some other character. Make sure to test a restore script that
changes the : back. To be safe, consider what happens if the character
you choose as the replacement already occurs in the filename.

I think perhaps rsync or rdiff-backup have the ability to do this
automatically.

Richard

P.S. HTML e-mail is ugly. HTML e-mail without a plain text part,
especially when sent to a mailing list, is unacceptable. Fix your mail
client.