[Dovecot] Test migration (IMAP copy) and INTERNALDATE?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 25 12:04:25 EEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 10:40 -0400, Apps Lists wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 07:47 -0400, Apps Lists wrote:
> >> The test system is Centos 4.3 (Final) running kernel 2.6.9-34.ELsmp #1
> >> SMP.
> >>
> >> I tested this with NFS and local ext3.   The mtime is initially set
> >> properly, but gets changed to current system time sometime later on in
> >> the copy process.   I moved the mtime change code around and managed
> >> to work around this, although I'm sure there's a more elegant
> >> approach.
> >>
> >> The patch is here on the list.
> >
> > Umm. Where?
>
> It did indeed make it to the list...  Let me know if you don't have it and
> I'll resend privately.

Ok, saw it now. But doing it after link() is a bit too late. It's
possible that another process could have seen the file at that point
with the wrong timestamp. Also I don't think link() should update mtime,
and it doesn't with me, neither with ext3 nor with NFS.

What if you try it manually?

stat somefile
ln somefile somefile2
stat somefile2

Only "Change" time should have changed, "Access" and "Modify" should be
the same. Or if you don't have stat, I guess ls -l is enough as long as
the mtime is old enough..