[Dovecot] NFS

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 25 17:48:39 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 00:36 +1000, grant beattie wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:33:10PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > I've finally managed to run Dovecot without errors in two computers with
> > maildir and indexes stored in NFS. I added a page to wiki about this:
> >
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS
>
> I presume the comments about locking only relate to mbox storage (and
> the indexes), not maildir, as maildir is lock free and always NFS-safe
> by design.. right?

No. Maildir is lockless only if

a) You don't really care about concurrent mailbox access. It works most
of the time, as long as you're not doing heavy concurrent accessing. I'm
not a fan of this solution, but that's how pretty much all other maildir
MUAs work.

b) You're using an operating system and/or filesystem which never skips
files in readdir() system call while files are being
added/removed/renamed. I don't know of any such OS/FS.

So, Dovecot locks all maildir accesses.

Anyway, the comments about locks only mean index file locking. Those are
the same with all mail storages.