[Dovecot] Sanity checking on dovecot

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Wed Apr 26 00:03:59 EEST 2006

I'm setting up a new server. I have a couple of dozen users, and
several domains.

I've set up Postfix as my MTA, and it's dropping things into
maildirs. Now I want to get Dovecot to work for POP/IMAP. (Getting
SMTP AUTH to work is also on the agenda, but slightly tangential.)

Postfix is putting things into /var/mail/vhosts, an example line in
my vmailbox file is:

test at callas.org				callas.org/test/

Dovecot is installed via darwinports. (Oh, yeah, this server is an
Intel dual-core Mac Mini running OS X 10.4 -- *not* OSX Server.)

So I need to figure out how to get dovecot to authenticate in my users.

 From reading <http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers> and <http://
wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication> it will be easiest for me to set up
a passwd-file authentication. So I would make some file somewhere in
passwd-file format. As an example, I might set up "test at callas.org" as:

test at callas.org:{plain}pass:1000:1000:Test User:<I think no home dir
is needed>::mail=maildir:/var/mail/vhosts/callas.org/test/

Is this reasonable? Is there something easier that I'm missing?

	Jon