[Dovecot] problems getting dovecot-LDA to work

Alan Premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Wed Apr 26 10:54:10 EEST 2006

Alan Premselaar wrote:
> I've setup a test machine and have been playing with dovecot-1.0beta7
> and dovecot-lda in preparation for a migration from 0.99.x series.
> (hopefully with the ability to support imap-quotas)
>
> anyways, i've got it all compiled fine (as far as I can tell) and
> following the directions on the wiki for setting up dovecot LDA with
> sendmail. (I've had to alter the configuration a bit since using the
> mailertable didn't work with my actual hostname).
>
> when I try to use /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver via sendmail, i get
> a EX_TEMPFAIL.  I logged into the machine as the user I'm trying to
> deliver mail for and do the following:
>
> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d alan
>
> and get the following error:
>
> deliver: Error: Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do
> with it: /var/spool/mail/alan (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)
> deliver: Fatal: Failed to create storage for 'alan' with mail
> '/var/spool/mail/alan'
>

> in /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf I have the following:
>

> protocol lda {
>
>         postmaster_address = postmaster at pluto.valueclick.ne.jp
>         auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>
>         location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/indexes/%u
>
> }
>

> I tried setting the default_mail_env with the same settings but got the
> same results (i did a complete restart of the dovecot services)
>
> I've even specified the config file with:
>
> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -c /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf -d alan
>
> with the same results.
>

> Google is not my friend with this problem.  Can anyone point me in the
> right direction to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> alan

OK. to reply to my own post, I've made some progress.

while on my lunch break it occurred to me that I should unset the MAIL
environment variable when doing the command line test of deliver which
changed the results.

if i log in as 'alan' and run the command, i get the following:

deliver: Error: lstat(/home/alan/Maildir/cur) failed: Permission denied
deliver: Panic: i_stream_stat() used for non-blocking seekable stream
Aborted

(i hit ^C to cause the panic and abort)

the permissions are as follows:

drwxrwx---  2 alan mail  20K Apr 26 14:07 cur
- -rw-------  1 alan alan  120 Apr 26 16:26 dovecot.index
- -rw-------  1 alan alan   24 Apr 26 16:26 dovecot.index.log
- -rw-------  1 alan alan    0 Apr 26 16:45 dovecot-uidlist.lock
drwxrwx---  2 alan mail 4.0K Apr 26 13:55 new
- -rwxrwx---  1 alan mail   12 Apr 26 14:09 subscriptions
drwxrwx---  2 alan mail 4.0K Apr 26 13:55 tmp
[alan at pluto ~]$

since i'm logged in at 'alan' i don't know why this error is happening.
I tried logging in as 'dovecot' which is the user name set to run
deliver as and get the same error.

it also appears that i'm having other issues with dovecot 1.0b7 (not
deliver) in that i'm getting segfaults when trying to open my INBOX on
this machine. I have gdb backtrace files captured if necessary.

Alan