[Dovecot] dovecot and thunderbird

Mark Davies mark at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Apr 27 02:56:49 EEST 2006

We've been using dovecot for a while now (currently 1.0beta7) and it works
nicely.  We have just one reoccuring problem:

When using thunderbird as the imap client sometimes when messages are moved
from the inbox to other folders (including Trash) they shortly thereafter
reappear in the inbox - this can happen multiple times to the same message.
We have multiple namespaces set up so that inbox is mbox format in
~/.poffice/username and other folders are maildir in ~/Maildir - both of
these are on NFS.  Indexes are on local storage.
The problem only seems to happen with thunderbird.  kmail, mac mail, outlook,
pine all work fine.
If we effectively move a user so that their inbox is also maildir then the
problem doesn't happen.
The inbox being mbox format is for historic reasons and medium to long term
this should change to maildir but in the interim can anyone see anything
different that thunderbird does to other imap clients that might be tickling
an underlying bug?

cheers
mark